25 Years of the Delegation of the .do
25th Anniversary Celebration
In August 2016 the .do celebrated the 25 years of its delegation, this event served as a framework for carrying out various activities that resulted in the benefit of the local Internet community.
During the week of August 22nd to 25th, 2016, with the support and collaboration of the organizations belonging to the Internet ecosystem, we held the “RD Internet Week” event, a space that served to share experiences and knowledge on technical aspects and policies and in which issues of relevance and timeliness were discussed, in this framework the workshops were offered:
- LACTLD Technical Workshop, aimed at ccTLD technical staff
- LACNIC ON THE MOVE workshop, focused on sharing information, experiences and best practices on cybersecurity, IPv6 deployment, best practices in traffic exchange points, among others.
- The AMPARO Project, an initiative that LACNIC has been promoting since 2009, which encourages the adoption of computer security practices, such as the CSIRT (Security Response Incident Response Centers).
- RD Governance Forum, which discussed issues of great relevance such as the challenges and opportunities of human rights online; Spam; Privacy and security; Generalized online surveillance, among others.
- LAC DNS Forum, focused on issues such as the DNS market in Latin America and the Caribbean, global initiatives and regional initiatives; Impact of new gTLDs for the region, on DNS security; ICANN and policy development processes.
The event welcomed more than 300 people, 85% of the local community, with broad participation of the government, education, technical community and civil society sectors.
NIC .DO thanks the individuals and organizations that accompanied us during the week, in particular to the Pontificia Universidad Católica Madre y Maestra (PUCMM), Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), Registry of (LACNIC), the Latin American and Caribbean ccTLD Organization (LACTLD), the Dominican Internet Society Chapter (ISOC RD) and the Dominican Institute of Telecommunications (INDOTEL) . We also thank CLARO for being the Internet service provider of the event.
Memories for 25 years
We take the opportunity to present in a document the path of development of NIC .DO, starting from the delegation of the .do to thePontificia Universidad Católica Madre y Maestra until the current moments.
On August 25, 2016, we held a commemorative event for the 25th anniversary of the .do delegation in which Göran Marby, President and CEO of ICANN, was a keynote speaker.
During the course of this event, a framework agreement was signed between PUCMM and the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), which was signed by Pbro. Dr. Alfredo de la Cruz Baldera, Grand Chancellor PUCMM, and Göran Marby, CEO of ICANN respectively.
Also, within the framework of this activity NIC .DO made a recognition to personalities and local organizations for their contribution to the development of the Internet in the country:
- Dr. Radhamés Mejía
- Ing. Álvaro Nadal (posthumous)
- Monseñor Agripino Núñez Collado
- INDOTEL, received by its president, Lic. José del Castillo Saviñón